Friday, October 20, 2006

On 'Call'...

What does it mean for one to have a 'calling' or to be 'called'?

There are several definitions of the word call - a phone call, a deliberate sound made to communicate with another, a vocation, and so on...

Usually, it simply means 'vocation' or job - especially when one is well suited to, or successful at their job. (i.e. He has a real calling to be a fireman)

And that's fine, but what I'm thinking about now (and have been for a while) is a more specific use of the term - the meaning of 'calling', as it is usually understood, in the spiritual sense or in religious usage.

And I know that various religions have differing understandings of this concept. Even within Christianity, various denominations use the terms differently and to mean slightly different things. Or they use the terms like 'call' and 'calling' to refer to denominationally specific ways in which pastors are selected, hired, assigned, etc.

Generally, I would say that most people think of this kind of 'a calling' as a strongly felt need or desire to work as a minister or pastor.

Interestingly, I grew up attending church in a denomination that did not use the terms 'call' or 'calling' in this way. Well, some may have, but I don't remember it at all. The first time I remember hearing about this idea was from my good United Methodist Grandmother, God rest her soul. I couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 years old when I heard her talking on the phone to one of her church-lady friends, 'You know, brother so-and-so was called into the ministry.'

When she got off the phone, I said, 'Granny, who called that man to tell him to be a minister?'

'God did, of course.'

Now this created quite a confusing mental image for me at the time: Picture me as a little kid imagining a guy sitting in his living room watching Good Times or whatever when the phone rings...

'Honey, you'll never guess who's on the phone...'

Nope, not even close. And I know almost no one who thinks it would happen that way - that it is ever that direct and specific.

I also think we use these terms in too specific a manner within Christianity even without the benefit of a six-year-old's overactive imagination. Maybe a 'calling' is not necessarily to enter the full time ministry. If one has a calling as a Christian, must it always be as a clergy person?

Could not one receive a call to be a Sunday School teacher? A Church Musician? Leadership roles in the Laity? Aren't these ministries also? In that case, doesn't everyone have some role? At least shouldn't they? Aren't all Christians, then, called in some way? Even if it is just to mow the grass in the church cemetery?

What about outside of Christianity? Could God call a non-Christian to become a Christian? Wesley might have thought so, but the quasi-universalist in me doesn't think it would be quite like that.

What if God is simply calling all people into a relationship with God and to use what talents and skills they possess to help others? I like that better - but who knows?

So, What is a 'call'?

Who gets 'called'?

Why, and for what purpose?

How?

And how do they know any of this?

7 Comments:

At 2:41 AM , Blogger Deepak Gopi said...

Hi:)
happy diwali

 
At 7:04 AM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

Lutherans have tended to talk about call in a vairety of ways. Regarding full time ministry, there is first a sene of internal call and then external call. For me, I felt drawn to ministry, and then as I began to do things in the local community, other people started saying to me, "have you ever considered being a pastor?"

After more discernment, the call is tested at the judicatory level in the candidacy process.

Once candidacy is completed, the call is tested further when one is assigned an ordained.

I guess more simply it goes like this: once you feel called, the church tests that call in partnership with you.

On another level, Martin Luther talked about call and vocation as something everyone had. He said that the bishop is no more holy than the blacksmith, and the nun no more holy than the milkmaid. It is perfectly logical to hink that God calls men and women to all states of life, not just the clergy life. I believe we have people called to be lawyers, accountants, UPS drivers, etc, because those people all have something to offer in their place in life to God and the church.

 
At 4:19 PM , Blogger Art said...

Hi Deepak. Ah yes, celebrating the victory of good over evil? Fasting too?

Thanks, LP. Your very thorough comment is much appreciated as I try to sort this stuff out in my head. Mose posts on this subject will follow:)

 
At 4:29 AM , Blogger Carolanne said...

I believe that if we love God, we are all called to be obedient to Him and serve Him with the gifts and abilities He has given us.
My dh was called to full-time ministry in much the same way that LP has described in his comments.
At the same time, I am struggling with what that means for our present time since we're not in "the" ministry. Now that you've got me thinking about it, guess I should go and begin part 3 and perhaps sort some stuff out there about it.

 
At 6:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I believe we are all called to do something, whether it's something that seems huge or very small that only few see.

 
At 3:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

mail call?
God .. as far as my knowledge, has never called anyone like that. He has said that if He wants, he could have made everyone one people (that is one religion) .. He sent Prophets that called people to Faith .. the the path of righteouness .. and not to join others with God .. as God is only One .. and he neither has a son nor has a father.

 
At 10:22 AM , Blogger Art said...

Carolanne, thanks. And good luck in your 'sorting out' as well.

Thank you, Carmel. Well put.

Thanks, Nabeel - I was approaching this from a Christian point of view of course, but it's nice to see a different perspective!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home