Thursday, October 19, 2006

That's my Boy!

Stacie told me that when she pulled up my blog last night and played the Mississippi John Hurt video, our son, Tad, said (from across the room), "Hey, that's Mississippi John Hurt!".

Eight years old. Awesome.

How many eight year olds do you know who can tell the difference between Mississippi John Hurt and Mississippi Fred McDowell?

Or between Robert Johnson and Tommy Johnson?

Or Blind Willie McTell and Blind Willie Johnson?

Or... well, you get the picture.

I wonder how the kid learned so much about The Blues at so young an age???

2 Comments:

At 12:43 PM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

We were driving home the other day and I had it on Outlaw Country on Sirius. My boy starts singing the words to an old Hank Snow song! I immediately swelled with pride.

As far s the cowpunk post below, it is interesting how it has been integrated into all sorts of genres now. I am a big psychobilly/rockabilly revival fan, and you still see that influence creeping in.

And now you know how I (mis)spent my youth (and the vast majority of my adult life as well).

 
At 12:45 AM , Blogger Art said...

Yeah, isn't it nice when our progeny turn out well?

And the Cowpunk genre was way more influential than most people are willing to admit.

But why does everything have to be a 'genre'? Not only do you have Cowpunk and Alt-Country but, what, Honky-punk, psychobilly, gothabilly, punkabilly and on and on and on. At some point, all this becomes meaningless. If it's honest and sounds good, then it's just cool music.

That's my 'genre' - cool music. Period.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home