Thursday, October 19, 2006

Nashville Rocks (well it did)...

Third try on creating this post. Here goes...

The other day I read a post from LutherPunk about Social Distortion lyrics. I'm not that familiar with them but I had a friend who was 'into' them years ago and I also recalled that they did a cool cover of "Ring of Fire".

So I decided to go to YouTube to find it. I did and it was cool. I also did some reading about them and discovered that, at one time at least, they were considered part of the CowPunk scene. I never knew that.

That, in turn, reminded me of some cool Nash-Boro bands from back in the eighties and how I had almost forgotten about these great bands. These were folks from the Nashville area that we thought would change Music City irreparably and would become superstars. Sadly, neither happened and most of 'us' grew up, got jobs and forgot about the whole thing.

So I then looked on YouTube for some of these bands, not really expecting to find any of them. I was so glad to have been wrong!

I first found several videos from Jason and the Scorchers. They were SO cool!



Then I thought aboutWebb Wilder. Found him too. Wow, the last of the full-grown men:



Then, to get really obscure, I looked for Government Cheese. AND THEY HAVE VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE TOO!



Man, "The Cheese" was just 'tha bomb' back on the day (except that no one said things like that way back when). Their drummer was also a well-know Nashville DJ at the old WKDF radio station. This was back when KDF was the rockin' '100,000 Watt Mother' not the bland pop-country marshmallow that it is today.

His 'name' is Joe Elvis and he's still on the air in Nashville - now on 1059 The Rock but I don't know if he's still drumming.

Wow, what a blast from the past!

At least now you know how I mis-spent my youth...

1 Comments:

At 12:47 AM , Blogger Art said...

I am so proud of myself! I finally got this to publish...

Hey Art, great post, man!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home