Monday, October 16, 2006

Laity Sunday.

Yesterday was the big day. My wife made her debut as a preacher. She even got around to referring to her message as a 'sermon'.

The whole service was great - it was led entirely by members of Stacie's Sunday School class. The only low point was that the person who was scheduled to do the children's sermon couldn't be there due to knee surgery. Guess who they tapped at the very last second to pull a children's message out of his, er, hat. Yeah, thanks.

The main message especially was good, though. Stacie got up after the scripture readings and began her sermon. She made some controversial points about inclusiveness and discipleship. Each time she did, one of her classmates (like Mark below) effectively heckled her from the pews, allowing her to respond to their criticism and make her point even more clearly.


Of course this was all part of the plan. It was cute and effective but it caught some people off guard at first. I think there was much more shock about this than when she said the word 'fag' from the pulpit.

I should point out that she didn't use the term in a derogatory manner. She was speaking about inclusiveness and criticizing people like Fred Phelps and mentioned 'the people who hold up signs saying "God Hates Fags"'.

Not even an audible gasp on that one. Sadly, some did take issue when she referred to Muslims as 'our brothers and sisters'.

Otherwise, it was well-received and most of the congregants had nothing but praise for the whole service. Our Pastor couldn't say enough good things about it and is now trying to get Stacie to go into the ministry:)

Congratulations to Sister Stacie and the whole Faith-Builders class for a great Laity Sunday service.

6 Comments:

At 12:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

we don't heckle here in Finland. sometimes I think it would be good if we did ... :)

 
At 4:30 PM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

Awesome! Is there a clergy couple in the making?

 
At 11:01 PM , Blogger Stace said...

Ok, now, let's set the record straight here. You weren't "tapped" at the last second, you volunteered at the last minute IF we needed anyone to fill in, remember? And, um, may I point out that the entire children's message was already typed out for you... you chose to go off willy-nilly and extemporaneously do your own message. (Which I might add was fabulous!) It's comforting to know that I can always count on you for support! Love u!

 
At 1:20 AM , Blogger Art said...

Lorna, thanks. It wasn't really heckling - it was just presented that way to get people's attention. But that would be great if we could get folks to respond like that to a sermon. At least we would know that they are paying attention. I don't know about you, but my (very limited) experience from the pulpit is that most people look either bored or sleepy (asleep even) when I'm preaching. Then again, maybe that's just the effect of my preaching?

LP, some would like to think so but Stacie is having none of that (and I'm starting to have my doubts too).

Stacie, I WAS tapped. If only by default - I mean who else was gonna do it??? And I did use your manuscript for a guide, I just didn't want to read it off the page. But really - camels, needles, rich men in heaven? I could have gone on for hours...

And you always have my support. I love YOU.

 
At 6:05 AM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

Art - do I take that to mean that you are reconsidering your churchly vocation? Sound slike a good post topic to me.

 
At 1:53 PM , Blogger Art said...

LP, that would be a good topic if I knew what to think about it. It's one of the many things rolling around in my brain right now.

So... maybe the post will be in the form of a question.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home