Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Great!

So all this semester, I've been receiving e-mail updates and newsletters from the university as if I'm currently attending classes.

Unfortunately, I must now give up the dream of getting credit for the classes I might have taken: The other day I received two identical packets in the mail 'inviting' me to return to school.

I guess someone realized they hadn't received any money from me recently.

This all depresses me for several reasons:

1, It reminds me of how slow my education is progressing (and I'm now even behind where I wanted to be).

2, To take classes in the spring semester, I have to figure out a way to pay for them. Even at my state-sponsored McUniversity, classes are EXPENSIVE.

3, OH CRAP. Our daughter is now 12 years old - She will be going to college herself in under 6 years! And DOUBLE CRAP, the son is 4 years younger than her so by the time she gets a degree, he'll be ready to start. And classes will be even more expensive by then. And don't forget all the related expenses. And we haven't saved for their education like we should have and... AND... And...

Great, I have a headache now.

I'm going to bed.

6 Comments:

At 3:01 PM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

I feel you on the cost issue. I was accepted to start work on my PhD this year. With one kid it was doable but cutting it close. Then a pregnancy. Then the realization that the boy goes to college in 5 years. And do you have any idea what college will cost when the one who is currently still in utero is ready to enroll at the great University of Florida??? All of a sudden, I am just hoping they let me keep my divinity degree. When you realize you have so many others depending on you, it makes it hard to do anything that is seemingly "for you".

At the same time, if this is what God has called you to do, then trust God and go for it. The money has a way of working itself out. Prayers for you...this is stressful in a major way!

 
At 1:35 AM , Blogger Art said...

Thanks, LP. Reading the post now, it sounds like I'm whining. I didn't mean to do that. I intended to write this post as a big joke about the double mailing from the university and their utter lack of concern about me as an individual...

But as I wrote, the reality of the situation hit me and it turned into something else...

I also see that you alluded to my "calling" again. Let's see - that's twice in one day, isn't it?

Are you trying to tell me something?

Or ask me something???

I promise, there is is a long post about this matter in the works.

Seriously, though, thanks for the thoughts and the prayers!

By the way, baby LP just might decide to go to college in Tennessee! We have lots of fine institutions of higher learnin' here that don't have reptiles as mascots.

 
At 6:14 AM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

I am not trying to pull something out of you, I promise! It just seems like a common thread moving through your posts today.

 
At 11:21 AM , Blogger Art said...

Yeah, it is something that's been on my mind a lot lately. I guess it came through in my posts more than I realized.

Or maybe you're just amazingly perceptive:)

 
At 11:34 AM , Blogger Susan as Herself said...

Sometimes I think that if I hadn't gone to college when I had, I wouldn't have gone... It all seems so distant and unnattainable now. And like you said....expensive. I think my youth and blissful ignorance of the world got me through all that back in the day.

But chin up----it's all possible, and if you want it, you will make a path.

 
At 2:24 AM , Blogger Art said...

Thanks Susan, I think it was my youth and blissful ignorance of the world that kept me from being totally sucessful in my second college career. But you know what they say - third time's the charm.

And yeah, chin up! Always.

You too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home