Thursday, August 10, 2006

Feast or Famine!

As I said in Sunday's post, I've now agreed to preach, at the very least, 3 sermons on the last 2 Sundays of this month. One of those will be my first occasion to spread the Good News to those outside of my home church. With more (possibly) following.

Yes, this is what I've wanted. I became a Lay Speaker because I wanted to serve God through my local Church. I became a Certified Lay Speaker because I wanted to expand that service to include other congregations in our district. I also thought that it might give me an opportunity to go to other UM churches and to get a feel for what it might be like for a pastor in the 'itenerant ministry'. People have been telling me for years that I'm being called to the ministry. At least this way, as Jack said, I could "get my feet wet" before committing to something monumentally life-changing.

The only problem is that it never happened. I took the advanced Lay Speaking course at Trinity UMC in Murfreesboro, TN in August 2005. Saturday marks the one year anniversary of the beginning of that course and, since then, I have done absolutely nothing that I didn't do as a Local Church Lay Speaker. Not that I wasn't willing, I was never asked. I put my name on the list, I gave them my phone number, my work number, my cell phone number, my email address... everything. And no one ever called. Come to think of it, I haven't even done anything as a Certified Lay Speaker that I didn't do before becoming a Local Lay Speaker.

At one point, I got a little peeved about this situation. But I now understand that there are many avenues for service and that some Pastors have friends, aquaintances or folks in their own congregation who can step in preach or teach if needed. Then there are retired pastors and even ministers from other denominations who are often tapped to fill in when needed.

At another time, I even thought that I might let my certification expire and forget the whole thing. But then, somewhere along the way, I began to accept things as they were. After all, I'm not in this for money or fame or attention. I desire to do these things only to fulfill my calling and, just maybe, to determine what that calling actually is. If that call is to be a Sunday School teacher and a part-time liturgist in my local church, then so be it.

Fast-forward a couple of months and you get to the subject of Sunday's post. Jack had approached me about a 'need' in the district. I had so decided that nothing like this was ever going to happen that it really didn't sink in at first: an area 'local pastor' needed someone to preach a couple of times a month. Something had been arranged and, for whatever reason, it didn't happen. The local pastor then approached his pastoral mentor for suggestions. That mentor just happened to be my pastor - Jack. He threw out my name and then asked me to meet with the pastor in question and our new Disrtict Superintendant to discuss the situation.

They're both great people and it was a good meeting. We tentatively agreed to give it a try on the last Sunday in August.

When I told Jack about this, he seemed pleased but he also asked me to fill in for him (as if) on the third Sunday in August. I agreed.

Then, two days later, Jim (the local pastor) called me to confirm our plans and he also asked me to preach at his church on the third Sunday in August. Of course, I had to decline. (Man, I hate saying 'no' to someone - especially if it's something I would otherwise be happy to do.)

So let's take a step back and review here: In the space of one month, I have gone from feeling somewhat under-utilized in my role as a UMC Lay Speaker to having two ordained ministers requesting my services on the same Sunday.

All I can think of right now is that God works in mysterious ways. Yes, She does!

And it all may come to nothing. After this church experiences my first message, they may very well say, "Thanks, and good luck in your future endeavors." Meaning: "Please don't come back here again!"

Or, it could be the opposite. It could actually work. We'll see.

For the time being, I'm just gonna pray a LOT, prepare as much as I possibly can, do the best that my meager talents will allow and hope for the best.

Good luck to me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home