Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Tentmaker...

Wow, I never thought my simple little post from Sunday would provoke such a (relative) outpouring of, uh, commentatiousness.

That is too a word. Now it is, anyway.

Seriously, though, I do appreciate Supergirl's comments on my religious interests and on my "calling" - whatever it is. It's a strange journey we've taken together. But I can't imagine it any other way.

I also appreciate Charles' comments and encouragement. It's not often that someone I don't know comments on my blog.

I, too, struggle with the idea of the "hireling ministry" as Charles calls it. In the UMC, we would call it "full time Church service" or "a lifetime commitment to ministry". What this means to me is that "ministry" can become just another vocation or a job instead of a calling.

In fact, all Christians are "called" to ministry of some kind. That's something I discussed with our District Superintendent last week. People tell me that I'm being called into the ministry, and maybe I am, but I also have to think about my family's best interest. And a pay cut doesn't seem to fit into that picture too well. On the other hand, I shared with her my feeling that the blanket call for Christians to be ministers does not necessarily mean that all are called to preach and teach. And certainly not to get a paycheck. I don't think we want folks going into the "ministry" for that reason alone.

I don't know much of anything about Charles' Quakerism, but I agree with him in that the scriptural justification for vocational ministers is pretty much nonexistent - at least in the New Testament.

The Apostle Paul devoted the latter part of his life to spreading the Good News and he accepted some compensation from the congregations that he served. But he did not expect it. He also had a vocation that would 'pay the bills' otherwise.

I'm not presumptuous enough to equate myself with Paul - I like the women, er, woman too much for that analogy to be true. And my zeal is not quite up to Pauline standards. But I'm working on that.

Of course times also change and the Bible doesn't say that we should use lightbulbs either.

3 Comments:

At 3:39 PM , Blogger RC said...

good thoughts. i think too often we rely on those that are paid to minister.

 
At 11:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That people would join the ministerial profession for the paycheck is a joke! Especially in the United Methodist Church, where we know that starting pay for ministers is fairly low. While I am sure there are some folks that become ministers for the pay, I wonder if most of those aren't the secondary money maker in the family? You mentioned the Apostle Paul's other "vocation", and I think that in this age, we expect far more of our pastors than the early Christians which keeps them from having a secondary vocation. We expect them to be our counselor, friend, guide, teacher, etc. etc. Maybe the early Christians expected these too, however, it's not recorded anywhere, or maybe it's that Paul just didn't feel led to be all things to all people. Maybe he felt it was only his job to spread the gospel, which PRAISE GOD! he was hugely successful at!

 
At 2:13 AM , Blogger Art said...

Amen and Amen.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home