Sunday, August 06, 2006

Be careful what you laugh at.

I now have a part time job - sort of. Not really, but I will be helping out a pastor at an area church for a while.

This has been in the works for some time now - It's what Brother Jack wanted to talk to me about a few weeks ago - but I held off making it public in any way because quite a few people needed to be informed of it face-to-face first.

A week from today, we're planning on visiting this church and then, two weeks later, I'll preach at their worship service. If things go reasonably well (meaning if I don't mess up too badly), I may do this a couple of times a month for the next couple of months.

Then, today, Jack tenatively asked me to preach at both our early and late service a couple of weeks from now. I tenatively agreed.

You know, if someone had said to me 10 years ago, "One day you're going to be a Sunday School teacher and Lay Speaker and a liturgist and occasionally you'll preach a sermon or two...", I would have laughed in their face.

5 Comments:

At 9:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Especially, if they'd said you'd be doing it in a United Methodist Church....It's nice you finally came over to the "right" side.. I didn't think we'd ever get you 'debugged'...only kidding..don't go off on some rant...please God!

 
At 12:01 AM , Blogger Art said...

How do mean 'right'? Do you mean right as in 'conservative' or do you mean 'right' as in correct? Or do you mean 'right' as in 'Whatever, so long as I agree with you.'?

 
At 5:03 PM , Blogger Charles Rathmann said...

I used to be married to a United Church of Christ Minister. Were it not for the fact that Quakerism (and the scriptures) are pretty much opposed to the "hireling ministry," I would opt for that profession myself.

Of course if someone could convince me the scriptures are in fact not opposed to the paid ministry I might reconsider. But for the time being, more power brother. Steer people towards the inward teacher and leave them there ... but doing that successfully can leave one without the need of the paid ministry!

 
At 5:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean after 16 yrs together you don't know the meaning of "right"? ha! Of course it means whatever agrees with me....I would think you'd know that...

 
At 1:39 AM , Blogger Art said...

"Right", to me means doing what Jesus said do and doing what Supergirl says do. Roughly in that order. Depending on the circumstance.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home