Saturday, July 29, 2006

History, like God, is watching what we do.

I was recently reading over the text of Bono's speech to the National Prayer Breakfast back in February. I had skimmed it at the time and then moved on.

Funny how things work. Months later, I got interested in the problem of world hunger. I discovered One.org, Bread For The World, The Hunger Site, and MercyCorps.

See my sidebar for links.

In the Advocacy section of MercyCorps' site, I rediscovered Mr. Hewson's speech.

It was inspired. I cannot tell you how uplifting and inspiring it is to read these words or how saddening it is to realize what a problem this is.

It's also refreshing to realize that a guy who has enough money to buy himself a fully stocked tropical island has neither lost his artistic voice nor his connection to, and care about, humanity.

This speech says exactly what I feel and believe. As I read it, I felt myself thinking, "Why didn't I say these things? Why was it not me who originated these ideas?"

I realize I have little chance of ever being invited to speak before a collection of national leaders, but why have I not articulated these very important ideas to whatever audience that I have?

In some ways, perhaps, I have. But not enough. Not often enough. Not emphatically enough. Not loud enough.

I have not done enough.

As long as 1000 people are dying every hour, no one has done enough.

Not me, not you, not Bono, no one.

History, like God, is watching what we do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home