Saturday, November 11, 2006

A Theology of Punk?

I like strange stuff.

Yeah, maybe that's stating the obvious but this is something strange that I really like:

Never Mind the Bibles - A Theology of Punk

This is a 60,000 word book in progress being written online by a fellow named Andrew Careaga.

I first saw a link to this on Richard Hall's Connexions a couple of weeks ago and I first thought it was a joke. I didn't quite understand it. But after some reading, I understand where the author is going...

And it's fascinating.

Who would have thought to link Biblical themes like social justice, redemption and egalitarianism with the themes of Punk Rock music and culture?

Well, not me for one.

Fortunately, Mr Careaga is not me and he did just that and more (comparing Johnny Rotten with Qohelet for instance).

I haven't read the entire progress so far but what I have read is well written, thought provoking and really, um, strange.

I love it!

Sound interesting?

Then check out Never Mind the Bibles - A Theology of Punk

4 Comments:

At 2:03 PM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

Dude. I am all over this! Thanks for the link.

 
At 3:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew Careaga is definitely one of the good guys in the Christian blogosphere -- and he knows his music. 'Never mind the Bibles' is a fascinating exercise: the only surprise is how come he hasn't got a publisher for a print version.

 
At 6:15 AM , Blogger John said...

I haven't read the link but my first thought is, why not? Let the Gospel be translated into every culture and language.

 
At 1:44 PM , Blogger Art said...

No problem, LP, I thought you'd like that:)

Richard - Totally agreed. Andrew commented on my blog a couple of weeks ago based on my comment on your blog about his blog... Yeah, real nice guy. Hopefully he can get this thing published someday.

Exactly, John, reaching people is what it's all about. If one can use the language and themes of an existing culture or genre to do that, then more power to 'em!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home