Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Liberals... UGH.

My wife has finally admitted - in print no less - that she is a liberal!

How did this shocking turn of events come about?

I'd like to think that it was my influence that caused her conversion but the truth is that we have been on this journey together for many years. We are, by nature, conservative types in many ways - traditional, family oriented, homebodies for the most part and not given to extreme or radical thoughts.

I guess those similarities were part of the reason we were drawn to each other in the first place, but over the years we've grown and we've expanded our views. I've always thought it was sad when couples say things like, "We've grown apart." Stacie and I have grown to be sure, but we've grown together instead of apart!

Ironically, in a time when many people view Christianity as nothing more than a tool of the right wing political machine in this country, it has been our increasing faith, or at least the manifestation of that faith, that has both brought us closer together and has convicted us that the religious right has it all WRONG.

See, I try to follow the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. I admit that I fail miserably at that most days but the more I try, the more liberal my views become. My friends look at me funny when I say I don't have a problem with Mexicans coming to this country to work and live, family members expect a punchline when I tell them I don't have a problem with homosexuals and Church members roll their eyes when I tell them I believe that everyone is going to Heaven. No wonder some folks in the Methoblogosphere have poked fun at me for being too liberal.

Stacie is correct when she says that 'liberal' has become a dirty word to some. Whether politically, theologically or socially, some will look down on anyone who calls themself a liberal. I disagree. I will join my wife and many other Christians with 'conservative' or Fundamentalist backgrounds, to say that calling oneself a Liberal is nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, I think it is something to be proud of.

I remain a homebody, a military supporter, an all around tightwad and a good ol' boy at heart.

And I love my Jesus.

But y'know what?

I think He's one too!

5 Comments:

At 8:54 AM , Blogger gavin richardson said...

Jesus a liberal!! blasphemer!! &:~D

 
At 11:03 AM , Blogger Art said...

Gavin, Aren't you one too??? :)

 
At 5:51 PM , Blogger jasdye said...

yeah, we all like to make Jesus in our own image.

me, i think Jesus was tall, a bit chunky around the waist, a bit sarcastic, a bit iconoclastic and of irish and puerto rican lineage.

but we all know that's fake.

Jesus was very iconoclastic.

actually, i was just gonna add that i'm not sure it's as simple as the whole Western, contemporary dichotomy of 'liberal' or 'conservative'.

i do, however, believe that Jesus is about justice and redemption. and, in many ways, i think liberals are closer in many ways than conservatives. although i can't think of a politician that could speak 'Jesus politics' as i see it.

but then again, i did add the modifier, 'as i see it.'

 
At 2:31 AM , Blogger Art said...

Thanks, J. I agree mostly but I picture Jesus as a tall southern guy with blonde hair and green eyes, of Swiss/German lineage...

But really, it's not about physical attributes. Thank God we don't know what Jesus looked like - that would exclude those who did not bear a physical resemblance.

And I totally agree that Jesus was all about justice and redemption and liberals being more in tune with that.

Here's the problem though - too many people read 'liberal' and think 'left wing secular Democrat' while others read the word 'Christian' and think 'Bible-thumping fundamentalist hypocrite'. As you point out, it is not a simple 'this or that' proposition.

Excuse me, I feel a full blog post coming on.

 
At 10:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

check out www.newchurch.org or wikipedia Swedenborg. Everybody does go to heaven in this Christian religion.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home