Monday, November 27, 2006

Breaking news from Bama.

Don't you hate it when bloggers predict some event then brag about their prediction when said event becomes reality? Yeah, me too but that doesn't keep me from doing it. Even if my prediction was only implied.

Last week, in my week-12 post on college football, I sarcastically mentioned that Alabama coach Mike Shula has publicly brushed off any speculation about job security. The point I was making was that it was ridiculous for him to say, "I haven't given that any thought." Of course he had... And this proves it: Alabama has fired Shula and named DC Joe Kines as interim coach.

I'd love to say, "I told you so" but I won't because there is a more important point I'd like to make. Namely that college football head coaching positions are notoriously insecure and the decisions made that cause that lack of security, are often equally notoriously short sighted.

After all the good-natured abuse that has been heaped upon me by Alabama and Florida fans, no less, for lambasting Coach Fulmer's performance at Tennessee in the past few seasons, I feel justified in turning that around to question this decision by the powers that be in the Alabama Athletic program.

Sure, Alabama didn't have a great season and Shula's never been able to beat hated rival Auburn, but he guided the program through the dark years of NCAA probation AND they had a 10 and 2 record last year with a bowl victory to boot.

Now Alabama is looking for a new coach again - the fourth time since 2000. Bama has had 7, soon to be 8, head coaches in fewer years (24) than Bear Bryant served as coach (25). Yet folks can't figure out why the program has not returned to the elite status it held under Bryant's leadership. There are many reasons, of course, but I say that one of them is this lack of stability and short-sightedness.

I think it's ironic that after seasons of 6-6, 10-2, and 6-6, they fired Shula who maybe could have taken them to another 10-2 season. As a non-Bama fan, I'm OK with that because Tennessee probably would not have been among the 2 in that scenario. But now, they're looking at another new coach, another big question mark and a 'rebuilding year' under unknown circumstances. They will be lucky to equal this year's record.

In any event, good luck to Coach Shula. I like him better already!

4 Comments:

At 1:00 PM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

What a bunch of morons! The Bear, as great as he was, is dead and gone. I think the fact that UA is now a place where coaches go to get eaten alive because of the Bear's shadow would have him spinning in his grace.

But then again, I "despise" Alabama!

Here is the issue, not just with Bama, but with all of college football. Fans, administrations, and boosters will not give a coach time to build a program. Look at how long it took Frank Beamer to win at Va Tech.

Of course, this doesn't apply to UF. We ran off Zook because he was the devil. ;-)

So, who do you think the Tide will try and lure to their death trap next?

 
At 2:32 PM , Blogger gavin richardson said...

don't count me as one of the happy alums

 
At 1:55 AM , Blogger Art said...

LP, I agree, but what will folks be saying when Meyer has a bad season??? As for the next suicidal Bama coach, my wife suggested Terry Bowden. Yeah, I know that won't be popular with the crimson faithful (HI GAVIN) - but I was wondering if Zook is doing anything these days:)

Just a thought.

 
At 5:58 AM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

Zook is currently destroying the Illinois Football program. Howeverm he is very efficient and should be available to destroy a new program soon.

Note I did say above that the problem is bigger than Bama. I think if Spurrier would have stayed at UF and had not won another title he would be on the chopping block as well. People have short memories, which is too bad.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home