Saturday, April 22, 2006

Smarty pants...

The paper on Socrates is finished except for a few minor details and I'm almost done with my readings. I'm just waiting on the final exam questions to come in over the good 'ol WebCT.

Lookin' for an "A" on this one.

Please?

Funny, Shelby has become something of a minor expert on Greek Philosophers. Every time I mention something about so-and-so, she says, "Oh yeah, we studied him!" I'm not so sure...

I tested her today.

I started with "Who was Socrates?" She actually knew a lot more about 'ol Socs than I though she would.

I tried a different question: "Who was Socrates' most famous student?"

"Easy, Plato."

'K, who was Plato's student?

"Aristotle."

Good, I thought I had her in a corner now. Who was Aristotle's most famous student?

"Dad - duh, Alexander the Great."

The kid's smarter than I thought, and I already thought she was exceptionally smart.

But, I really had her now- Who was Alexander's Father.

HA! Finally got her - and her mother. Tad, who had been answering every question with the name of a Star Wars character, yells "ANAKIN".

No, Phillip of Macedonia.

In related news, Tad's artwork was chosen from his school to go to a county wide student art show. We went to see it this morning. We were quite proud. He won third place county wide in his category. Tad on the other hand was quite upset that he did not get first place.

This afternoon we went to have lunch at my grandmother's church - a family fish fry. My uncle was in from what ever God-forsaken thirdworld country he's now calling home and was joined by 3 out his other four brothers, my mother, their sister, various inlaws and outlaws, the majority of the grandchildren and more great-grandchildren than can possibly exist in one family. I swear, I had no idea who some of these people were! I'm pretty sure that a lot of the other folks there felt the same way. Some bum could have wandered in off the street, had his fill of fried fish, potato salad and lemonade and no one would have been the wiser.

Sorry, gotta run, the Nichomanchean Ethics is calling my name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home