Monday, April 17, 2006

And Now, even more stupid news!

This, hot off the virtual presses at MSNBC: A possible shake-up in the white house staff? Wow, I would have never seen that coming!

Same with this one: Anger at Bush may hurt GOP at the polls. Ya think?

And this: McCain's not really a conservative? C'mon people, do you just set aside one news day every so often for stupid stuff? Actually this was an interesting but disappointing story about John McCain's recent experiment in pandering to the religious right. It's just a really misleading title for the article.

This one isn't really stupid news, I just can't believe that the FCC hasn't tried to fine someone for saying "poo holes" on TV.

And, as always, I'm saving the best for last: Anti-gay group...sparks free-speech fight. O.K., this is Fred Phelps "church". Y'know, the "God hates fags" people. The 'Christians' who protest at funerals? Normally, I don't read trash like this because I know what Fred Phelps is and I know what he does and I don't even want to read about it. Personally, I can't believe that God hates anyone, but if He or She ever decides to, I'm pretty sure Phelps will be a lot higher on the list than 'fags'. Sorry, back to my subject. Why is this a stupid news story? Because the story is framed as a constitional debate about free speech, that's why - and it is not. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Phelps and his gang of goons already have "freedom of speech" and they are abusing it. In fact, they have gone over the line.

I hear you, "Surely you're not suggesting that we stop these people, censor these people or charge them with something are you? That would be unconstitutional."

BULL. Actually, yes, I am suggesting that we get Fred Phelps off the street and out of the news in any legal manner. The constitution guarantees freedom of speech but there are limits on that freedom. Put your wagging tongues back in your mouths. There are, and have always been, limits on all our freedoms and that includes the freedom of speech. Let me give you some examples:Imagine a government official who has access to classified information. Does he or she have freedom of speech? Of course. Does that freedom extend to dicussing his or her classified knowledge with his colleagues in foreign governments? Hmmm... we call this "freedom of speech" TREASON.

O.K., what about my freedom to lie about people. Generally protected, but not if I purposely tell lies about someone to intentionally cause harm to them. I believe that's called SLANDER.What if I exercise my freedom of speech by telling my friend something so irresponsible and negligent that it causes their death? Illegal. Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. famously wrote, "The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic."(from Schenck v. United States). Also from this case: "The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger..."The things that Holmes wrote about almost a century ago are the exact things that Fred Phelps and his ilk are doing today: yelling fire in a theatre and creating a clear and present danger. How? By inciting intolerance, homophobia and religious fanaticism of this very worst kind to such an extent that it may make some impressionable but very misguided person go out and kill or maim people because of their lifestyles and their beliefs, that's how! Sounds like a "clear and present danger to me".

Perhaps we should wait until it's even more clear - say like when one of Phelps' pea-brained followers goes on an anti-gay shooting rampage or blows up an abortion clinic or attacks a military base. This guy has gone over the line again and again in his abuse of freedom of speech and into criminal territory.

It's time to shut him down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home