Saturday, December 16, 2006

Five Things About Me...

As tagged by the Reverend Mr. Punk, here are 5 things you probably didn't know about me (and probably didn't care to know):

1 - I have the (relatively) rare trait of green eyes. Both my parents, my sister and all four of my grandparents had blue eyes. Conventional wisdom says this is impossible but it is true (though very rare). Recent research has proven that human eye color does not follow the commonly accepted genetic rules. I have a link to prove this somewhere but it's late and my green eyes are tired so you'll have to trust me on this...

2 - As an adult, my weight has fluctuated by almost 100 pounds (175-280). Fortunately, at the present, I am closer to the lower end of that spectrum. But it's a constant battle.

3 - I am a frustrated luthier. I have designed and constructed numerous stringed instruments such as dulcimers, a bass and a violin. I've also restored or repaired several instruments. My passion was to be a guitar maker, though, and I built several electric models. My main acoustic guitar is also hand built and was probably my best work. I eventually came to the realization that passion does not necessarily equal ability and I looked to other areas as creative outlets...

4 - Like LP, I once thought it would be a good idea to become a vegetarian. Unfortunately, I love to cook and to eat meat. What was I thinking? I lasted just over a year. Though I lost a lot of weight, I ultimately came to the conclusion that if God had wanted us to be vegetarians, She would not have made all Her other beings so dang tasty!

5 - I am totally fascinated with projectiles. Not in a scientific way - but simply by making inanimate objects fly through the air. Footballs, arrows, bolts, pumpkins, bullets, spitballs, pencils, diet Coke and Mentos - you name it - if it can be hurled, shot, catapulted, blowed up or thrown impressively, count me in day or night!

5 1/2 - The above once resulted in a serious injury and a subsequent surgery many years later. Here's some friendly advice: if you ever try to shoot home-made arrows out of a wrist-rocket style slingshot, please make certain that the arrow is long enough to remain seated in the throat of the slingshot at full draw so as not to shoot yourself full through the back of the hand, thus pinning your young hand to the handle of said slingshot. AND in the following visit to the emergency room, make ABSOLUTELY sure that the novice medical attendant removes every last sliver of errant wood from your hand or you might be visiting the hand surgeon to have the encapsulated scar tissue removed some 20 years later! Seriously.

I hereby tag Supergirl, Carolanne, and Dizzy.

6 Comments:

At 5:20 AM , Blogger Carolanne said...

You tagged me???!!! What were you thinking??? Oh man, when am I going to get time to do that - ok, guess I am on holidays now for a few weeks or so....
I'll get around to it - is there a use by date?
By the way, I love that when I click on your link, I get "transported" to your site.

 
At 5:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny!

I could share a story from my past regarding projectiles... um, but I think I'll keep it to myself. I'm not sure what the statute of limitations is on that, and I'm still in hiding...

 
At 9:40 PM , Blogger Stace said...

Thanks for the taggin, sweetie. I'll get around to it eventually. I won't list them here tho', they'll be on my blog. Gotta get some traffic there y'know.

 
At 11:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

was that tagging done at random, or a draw of lots???
Ok, here I go, By your norms though
1.I have black eyes, but probably you don't know, [or 'care to know']that I once had a long thick plait that reached below my knees [ long for my 5'9" frame] which once got caught in a celing fan while flinging it back, and so had to be trimmed. After that I discovered the delight of 'managing' shorter hair and so never 'allowed' it to grow back again.
2.I never check my weight, I have, what must be called, 'scalesophobia'I just guess that I am not going overboard, by my clothes fittings!
3.Besides writing poetry, enjoying cooking, I love painting..oil on canvas and mixed media.My love affair with art [ common noun] began with my birth I guess.
4. I am not religious in a ritualistic manner, but I am a very spiritual person, and have my moments of deep communion with our God.[ and just a bit of digression here; I am DELIGHTED that Art, thinks that God is a SHE]. I love all humanity and I love animals AND plants too.I talk and sometimes even sing to plants, and sometimes I have rare moments of Awareness when I feel suddenly 'struck' by the sheer perfection of similarity of rice grains, or by the transparency and value of water.You might think it strange, but I feel, 'protective' towards water.
4 1/2 I thank God for every moment I enjoy in my life and at the same time I pray that he may lessen the suffering of those in pain and need.[I feel like kicking Angelina Jolie, for excesses like buying a diamond studded soother for her baby, for so many million dollars.That amount of money could have fed so many poor people or changed the lives of so many orphans if she really cared!]
5.I literally survived on feeding myself with mud till I was ten years of age.Not that there was dearth of food, but just because I loved eating earth in any form, fullers earth, clay, chalk..I would have my fill, and get thrashed by my mom.I would even eat earthen pots and earthenware, and people would search everywhere and not find them [ never once did they think of searching my stomach].No threats about getting worms or monsters in my tummy, would make me dither from my passion[ read addiction] for a 'mud chocolate' The eating has ceased though, but I still love to make clay models.

 
At 6:13 AM , Blogger Carolanne said...

OK Art, I did it but you'll have to check my blogsite to see it!

 
At 7:25 PM , Blogger Art said...

Carolanne, I just knew you would find the time.

Thanks Vicki. That's probably wise. LOL.

Hey Supergirl, what happened to your pretty picture?:(

Hi Dizzy. I do believe you have the honor of leaving the longest comment ever on my blog:) Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home