Wednesday, December 13, 2006

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH~!!!!!!!!!

I cannot begin to desribe the frustration I have had with Blogger, Blogger Beta, Blogspot, whatever, over the past couple of days.

It all started this past weekend when I found that I could not comment on most other blogger or blogspot blogs. Then I found out that the reverese was also true: many others could not comment on my blog and some couldn't even see it. Even the one who did comment weren't showing up.

Then on Monday, I tried to write a new post only to be denied write access to my own server space. I quickly verified that everything was OK with my server and FTP settings. So I decided, against better judgement, to try switching to Blogger Beta.

Bad idea. That's when things really started to get crazy. I had to log in twice to every session only to be told that my login had failed. When I logged in again, I was right back with the same problems I had before - posts not publishing, no comments capability at all, etc.

I tried changing every setting on my blogger account that I thought would make a difference -all to no avail...

In desperation, I even lowered myself to emailing the Blogger "support" team. What a joke! I did not even get a "We will address to your problem as soon as we quit picking our 19 year old IT student noses" BS reply!

Finally, in double secret desperation, I tried switching my publishing from my FTP server to a plain Blogspot address and, voila, everything works like a charm.

The only problem is that no one but me knows this... Everyone else in the world is going to my old URL.

Thank you so much Blooger!

A quick HTML page to redirect traffic to this temporary site should do the trick for now but I am done with Blogger. I mean DONE. I realize this is a free service and all but this crap is just the last straw. Instead of addressing the known problems with Blogger, these ignos decided to try to keep up with the newer blog software platforms by adding snazzy gadgets and features to a BROKEN platform. Broken. It's crap. It's worthless. Nada. Finito. Over and done with...

Wouldn't it have been better to have kept Blogger as a basic, no frills program that actually works?

Silly, of course not. What am I saying???

OK, I realize I'm ranting. I'm sorry but I am so PO'd right now I could just scream.

I'll leave you with some friendly advice: If you are using any Blogger product, drop whatever you are doing and switch to anything else that you can find: Vox, Typepad, Wordpress, whatever.

Do it!

Do it Now!

Personally, I'm going with Wordpress. It's free, easy to use and looks great. It won't let you use scripts but at least IT'S NOT BLOGGER.

And for pete's sake, if you're still on the old Blogger, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, switch to BETA.

Whatever you do, DO NOT switch to BLOGGER BETA!!!!

10 Comments:

At 3:52 AM , Blogger Art said...

OMG, don't tell me comments actually work now... WOW!

Thank you so much stupid blogger.

Wordpress, here I come...

 
At 7:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Art. I've been considering making the switch to wordpress. I spent (wasted) several minutes yesterday attempting to post comments to other sites and to my own before somehow getting them to "take." I've been warned about not switching to beta, so I'm avoiding that.

Being "older" (see below) and a relative newcomer to blogging and html and all that stuff, I need a little clarification: you said that wordpress "won't let you use scripts" - uh, what's that?

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I do appreciate them (but I think I'll quit counting now)!

 
At 3:00 PM , Blogger Carolanne said...

Hmmm
Well, when I'm finally on holidays - as in a week or so, then I'll get around to maybe switching but fortunately for me, I haven't had the problems and frustrations you've described.
Maybe blogger is kind to stalkers? :)

 
At 5:30 PM , Blogger Rev Paul Martin said...

I have had similar problems. It has prevented me being part of Methoblog.

I have waited a good 10 days for an answer from Blogger and to be honest i am alos giving up on them and transferring to Wordpress in New Year.

Making a change is a nuisance but Blogger's crap service leaves no choice.

 
At 7:49 PM , Blogger RC said...

glad to know i'm not the only one who has been frusterated.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

 
At 3:15 AM , Blogger Art said...

Vicky, Javascripts are little snippets of code that you can paste into your post to make it do neat things like display quizzes, animations, blogrolls, etc.

Some platforms (like Wordpress) do not allow Javascripts because they can also be used for nefarious purposes.

Wordpress takes the approach that it is better to eliminate this possibilty altogether by banning any scripts.

In return, they allow you to use prepackaged 'widgets' to do some, but not all, of the same kinds of things. I love using scripts but I think this is a decent trade-off.

Carolanne, Turbulent Cleric and RC, it seems about half of Blogger users are experiencing these kinds of problems and the other half is shaking their virtual heads because everything is working fine.

It seems random but so many have problems that I must recommend something else. The risk is just to great to switch to Beta.

If you've already done so and aren't experiencing these problems, then maybe stick it out for a while but I recommend at least checking out Vox and Wordpress. Both are free, easy to use and look nice. I just like Wordpress better.

 
At 3:18 AM , Blogger Art said...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - Carolanne, YOU first called yourself a stalker! Now, where's that address???

 
At 11:52 AM , Blogger Mona said...

Yes, something strange has been going on...& now I cant post comments as Dizzy!
For a few days it refused to accept my password even!

 
At 8:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Art:

Yes, come over from the dark side (blogger) to the light (Wordpress). Though I have not had the same problems you describe with two blogger beta blogs I have, I reallt like Wordpress. I have tried most every free blog hosting service, and they are the most responsive when it comes to responding to problems or issues reported (usually less than 24 hours).

Also, it is fun when Wordpress rolls out some new feature or blog template, and lately that has been about every other day or so,

I have already had one friend switch to Wordpress from blogger, and I think he is pleased with the switch. For him the issue was the down time on blogger's servers.

Anyhow, you've got a good blog going, so keep up the good work regradless of where it is parked, and thanks for stopping by and commenting on mine.

 
At 7:31 PM , Blogger Art said...

No problem, Will. I like your blog too and, yes, I have seen the light...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home