Monday, November 13, 2006

Sewanee Trip...

A couple of weekends ago, we went on a Saturday trip up the 'mountain' to the Sewanee area. We do this occasionally because the area is beautiful and there are many family activites available. I also like for my children to know that there is a prestigious university and seminary just a few miles from our home (hint - Study hard and get a scholarship because it's also expensive).

These trips are also an excuse for me to take a lot of photographs which I usually post a sampling of afterwards. Unfortunately, I have been so busy the past couple of weeks, I didn't post any of my latest Sewanee pics even though they were FTP'ed to the server.

So here are some of those photos and some brief comments:


The trip to Sewanee itself is fairly impressive. We usually call the area 'the mountain' but it's actually a plateau. Still, it looms over the valley like a mountain and is visible from 20 or more miles away. To give some sense of perspective, the little square thing visible atop the plateau in the picture above is the 5 story Templeton library!





Above is the entrance to 'The Domain'. As I understand it, The University of the South owns not only the university grounds but the entire town of Sewanee and several thousand surrounding acres. The stone gateway marks the entrance into university's domain.

Just inside the domain entrance is 'the rock', a huge outcropping of sandstone that can be climbed for a scenic view of the valley. I let my kids climb the thing because I did it as a kid but it's probably dangerous. I took the picture below from the top of the rock, down toward the Sewanee side. The little blob on the shadow in the center is me!





Above is a valley view from the rock. We moved on from there to the memorial cross. You can just see the cross in the forest opening below.



Above is another valley view, this time from the cross grounds. I like the picture below because the tree seems to mimic the shape of the cross. In the extreme lower left of the picture, you can see my son running around like a madman.



More scenic views from the perimeter trail which encircles the entire domain. Sorry about the power lines visible in the one below but the aerial perspective was too good to pass up.



Pictures from the trail.



How about those autumn colors!



The kids having some fun.

The only bad thing about the trip is going home. Even though we only live a few miles away, the road to Sewanee is a 7% grade with about two dozen tight curves and switchbacks and no place to go but down if you can't keep it between the lines (The angle in the picture below is not exaggerated). Add to this the rapid repressurization of one's inner ears from the the change in altitude and you get some idea of the unpleasantness of this part of the trip.


Still, we had a great time and I took some O.K. pictures. We won't be able to go back any time soon so this may be it for '06.

9 Comments:

At 11:45 AM , Blogger Susan as Herself said...

What beautiful vistas. You are lucky to live near such a lovely area. I love autumn colors in places such as that... makes me miss where I grew up a little.

 
At 2:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a very pretty place to visit!
Thanks for sharing the photos.

 
At 4:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Art,

You are breaking my heart with all these pictures of Sewanee. This is my first fall in Texas, and your photos are definitely a great cure for the homesickness. Did you make it out to the cross?

Oh, the University owns not just some acreage around the school -- they own 10,000 acres (that's just under 10 acres per undergrad at the college). The houses on the domain are on land that is leased from the university.

 
At 9:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know a great way for your kids to get in to Sewanee...send them to St. Andrew's-Sewanee first! (sasweb.org) Then you and they can visit that beautiful plateau every day!

 
At 4:58 AM , Blogger Art said...

Susan and Carolanne - glad you liked.

Pastor DH - the cross is there - what a solemn and holy place - but we spent most of our time out on the trail. Hey, did you ever climb the rock???

Anonymous - are you, by any chance EMPLOYED by SAS??? (laugh) If so, get them to lower the astronomical tuition fees and then we'll talk:)

 
At 4:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh wow awesome pictures!

 
At 12:16 AM , Blogger Mona said...

awesome really...you are lucky to have natural vistas around you...and to be with nature up close.Isnt it a wonder, that earth, with its plain brown shade, holds so mant colours within it that spring forth in flora and fauna? That is what I call being humble...so many colors within, yet apparently so plain in existence.
Love nature, and it will love u a thousandfold in return.It has so much more to offer you , besides enjoyment...

 
At 3:13 AM , Blogger Art said...

Thank you Carmel.

Dizzy- that is an intersesting thought - the humility of earth. I may use that. Thanks.

 
At 7:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI. I have been looking for days for pics of the rock. I grew up in Franklin County. Actually lived in Decherd. I graduated from FCHS in 1984 and moved to Omaha Nebraska in 1985. Every once in a while I get to thinking about all the awesome places around there. In fact, I pretty much have all the pics you posted. It seems as those are just like the ones I took when I lived there all those years ago. Here in Nebraska we have the dirty Missouri River, a really bad football team and corn. Sometimes I think I should pack up and move back. I appreciate seeing all your pictures. It made me realize just how much I miss it. I can't count all the times I went to the cross and the rock when I lived there. I also loved going to the natural bridge and falls mill.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your memories and happy holidays.
Tina Henshaw

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home