Monday, September 25, 2006

Our Weekend Trip.

We were looking for some cheap entertainment this weekend and, since gas is now relatively inexpensive and none of us had been to Sewanee since Stacie quit working up there, we made the drive to the ‘mountain’ to have a look around.

We stopped at “The Big Rock” on the way up.
This thing is some king of natural sandstone outcropping right on the side of Highway 41. It’s surrounded on the other sides by dense primeval forest and a sheer cliff.

Many years ago someone added some masonry steps on the side so you can climb the thing with relative ease and look down into the valley. I remember doing this a couple of times as a kid so we stopped to let our kids have the same experience. Fortunately they’ve scrubbed a lot of the graffiti off and generally cleaned the area up a lot in the ensuing years.

The kids got a big kick out of climbing the rock – especially Tad - who started crawling around on all fours, saying things like ‘my precious’ and ‘it hurt’s us’ over and over again. He was a little too exited about the rock for my tastes because, even though it’s only about 30 feet or so above the roadway on the front, the rear of this formation is hundreds of feet above the valley below. So I held on to my little ‘Gollum’ most of the time we were up there.

Here's a view from the top of the rock looking toward the valley, down to the highway ,




and the rock from the back:


We moved on from there and drove out toward the Templeton Library, passing St. Mary’s Convent,

and on to the Natural Bridge preserve.

We hiked down to the ‘bridge’ – another stone formation

– and the kids and I climbed across. Stacie wouldn’t do it, though.

There were some other folks there and one young guy not only went across but climbed down into the cave below and was scaling the side of the bridge as we left. My son looked on enviously. Stacie said, “Don’t even think about it!”

We went back to the Templeton Library and self-toured the grounds. I’ve never seen it up close though I can see it as a speck from my house on a clear day.

We saw the statue of Sir John Templeton himself and pretty much just walked around the building saying ‘wow’ repeatedly. Tad wanted to go in a ‘check out a book” Shelby punched him and said “It’s not that kind of a library – DUH!” She was right – the library is actually a repository for John Templeton’s extensive papers. I guess Sir Templeton wrote a lot – five stories worth, maybe?

From the back we had a panoramic view of the Elk River Valley. Tad claimed he could see our house… he couldn’t.




From there we went by the University of the South and headed out to the Memorial Cross. The kids had never been there and it’s been years since I’ve seen it. Again, they’ve cleaned it up a lot. It used to be mainly unattended and at one time had a lot of graffiti on it. Today, it’s a nice memorial for war dead from Franklin County. It’s a beautiful and serene place – a fitting memorial.


You can get a sense of the size of this cross if you look at the bottom of the picture on the left where you can see the tiny figures of my family.
It’s also a check point on the perimeter trail. Which of course Tad wanted to hike – today! We finally got him out of there, but I had to promise to bring him back one weekend and hike the whole 20 mile trail.

Since we were in Sewanee, I said it would be good to see the campus, not realizing it was family day, soccer game day and SACA craft fair day, and apparently a couple of other types of special days, at the university. We crept though the traffic at a snail’s pace but it allowed me to take some pictures from the moving vehicle (which I normally don’t recommend).

We saw several of the dormitories and lecture halls – all of ancient sandstone of course, as well as the new Theology Department facilities, All Saint’s Chapel, Otey Parish (which I didn’t get a picture of, and whatever this is.

Shelby seemed more interested in these than the other sights we'd seen. Tad on the other hand was now bored…



All day he'd been taking in the dense forests, the caves and stone formations interspersed with larger-than-life man-made structures that looked a thousand years old – not to mention all the strange creatures (students) we had run into. All this time a thought had been slowly forming in his over active imagination – something seemed familiar about all this…

It was at this point that he saw a street sign reading “Rivendell” and it all came together for him: “I KNEW it! – We've been in 'Middle Earth' all day!”

Close son, close.

9 Comments:

At 12:40 PM , Blogger Susan as Herself said...

OK---The idea of the kid saying "My precioussss" and stuff all day is HILARIOUS. Good one.

 
At 1:09 PM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

That area is gorgeous. I love Tennessee (the state, not the team). Chattanooga and the surrounding area is like a getaway place for me. I haven't been on Sewanee's campus, though.

 
At 4:12 PM , Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

That looks awesome man. I would love to come out and check out that area.

 
At 5:49 PM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

Hey Rev...you seriously have to come South and check out the Promised Land!

 
At 11:11 PM , Blogger Stace said...

Ahem, it's not that I wouldn't go across the natural bridge, it's that I couldn't. My nerves were shot after you made me climb the Sewanee rock. Nevermind that Art Jr. aka "Gollum", was seriously making me nervous. Maybe we could send him to Susan so she can get a taste of his schtick.

 
At 12:23 AM , Blogger Art said...

Sorry about the poor layout of this post. I (along with about a million other people) am having problems with blogger. I may go back to straight HTML!

Susan, It's all true. And he's good! He's got the movements down and everything...

Rev. Punk, If you ever have reason to be on I-24 between Chattanooga and Nashville, allow yourself an extra hour and take the Monteagle exit. Sewanee's only about 5 miles from the interstate. The area looks just like the highlands around Chattanooga - just beware of the locals...

Rev. Cube, come on down, man! There's a lot to see if you know where to look.

And... am I imagining things or did LP call Tennessee the Promised Land? !

Stacie, just admit, you were CHICKEN - nothing to be ashamed of (cough)

But I don't know about sending the boy to Susan.. She might have him starring in some play or something. Or she might OD on her birth control pills:)

 
At 6:34 AM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

Let me clarify, Tennessee is PART of the Promised Land. I am an unabashed lover of the South, be it the mountains of Tennessee, the excitement of Atlanta, or the swamps of Louisiana.

My wife and I were talking about how much we loved Nashville and the surrounding area when we were up there in April. I would be open to taking a call up there (but Lutherans a few).

 
At 6:37 AM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

Oh, I forgot to mention how much I love the mid-South. Memphis in summer time...when it is sticky...live music playing...it's like nowhere else I have ever been.

Sorry, I am officially blathering.

 
At 11:14 AM , Blogger Art said...

LP, Blather to your heart's content but, PLEASE, no muttering!

Actually, I agree. I love the South too - Even Florida is O.K.(but like you said, the STATE, not the team).

And you're right about Lutherans being few in number around here. I don't think there's a Lutheran Church in our whole county. There are two in Tullahoma (next county north) though - one ELCA and the other is Missouri Synod. And they're about a block apart!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home