Friday, September 22, 2006

My Mid-Life Crisis?

My lovely wife (who is quite a bit younger than me) sent me a link to an MSN story called "How to Have a Mid-Life Crisis - Sometimes a man has to lose his bearings to find his way".

What does it mean that she sent this to me?

What is she trying to tell me?

And how did she come across this link?

Was she looking for something about men having mid-life crises? Does she think I'm, uh, you know, having one?

Am I thinking too much (again)?

Maybe, but obviously she wanted me to read the story. Obviously she thinks that either I needed to read this for some reason or that I will learn something from it.

Is she expecting me to identify with the things that are discussed in the article or is she trying to tell me what to watch out for?

Or is it both?

I came to terms with my advancing age a few years ago. When I turned 35, someone said, "Welcome to middle-age."

Gee, Thanks.

I had always thought of M-A as 45 to 60 or so but I did some reading and, sure enough (depending on which expert you cite), middle-age begins somewhere between 35 and 40.

But, like it or not, I'm now almost 40 and, for the life of me, I can't get over the feeling that it's not quite real!

I feel 25 and I have for, well, almost 15 years!

I'm happily married, but to a much younger (and very attractive) woman. I'm more fit than I have been for most of my adult life. I've lost weight - almost 50 pounds and counting, I exercise a couple of times a week, I have a good job that I (mostly) enjoy, I have few good friends and some engaging hobbies. Most people say I don't look my age and girls (almost) young enough to be my daughter sometimes still flirt with me. I'm active, healthy and generally enjoying my life more than I ever have...

So what is the problem? What has changed?

Well, plenty has changed but I don't see these changes as problems. I think of them as benefits...

I started the health and appearance improvement kick about a year ago, with some measure of success so I'm told.

I decided to go back to school to get my (second) degree.

I started this "exploring phase" of what might be a call to full time service in the church.

I've test-driven a bunch of sports cars.

I'm listening to more music (mostly from my youth)...

And I started playing the guitar again - I even bought a new amp!

Finally, I started blogging, which is why you are reading this.

So, yeah, things have changed.

Does this mean I'm having a mid-life crisis?

To some, I'm sure it sounds like it...

I don't know.

It seems to me that I'm just doing the things that I want or need to do...

Things that I neither had the time, money, nor wisdom to do when I was younger.

I don't see how these are bad things - I have always thought of a "mid-life crisis" as something BAD.

It is called a "crisis" after all... You know, realize you're going to die someday, start hanging out with counter-culture types, do some drugs, have an affair... do some really irresponsible (and stupid) stuff.

And I haven't, nor will I, do those things (except maybe hanging out with counter-culture types).

I do realize that I will die at some point. I accept that. And I have changed. My circumstances have changed... My life has changed, but it's almost totally for the better...

In short, I'm happy.

Someone explain to me how, exactly, is this a "crisis"?

4 Comments:

At 3:19 PM , Blogger Susan as Herself said...

I read that article too---and enjoyed it even though it was meant for men. I think everyone goes through changes in the middle of their lives. Happily, your's seem to be all good!!! :)

 
At 5:17 PM , Blogger RC said...

yikes...that's a lot to be concerned about.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

 
At 2:34 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

well I don't know what a mid life crisis is, but my mum says "at least at mid life we are still alive" lol.

 
At 1:20 PM , Blogger Art said...

Thanks (I think):, ladies and gentlman.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home