Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Zune is here...

Microsoft rolled out it's Zune 'digital media player' today.

Will Zune impact the ipod - or rather how much will Zune impact ipod?

The ipod is huge but Zune has Microsoft behind it. Microsoft has a way of taking someone else's innovation and turning it into something hugely successful.

The problem - ipod is already hugely successful and ipod users are generally very faithful.

Another problem is the points system Microsoft is using in their music store. It seems way too complicated to me.

Then there's the name - Zune?

I guess it's memorable - that's all I can say for it.

I don't have either and probably won't. Although my daughter has an ipod that she loves, I have not been impressed with the itunes music store at all.

Where does this leave me? Probably listening to cassette tapes...

6 Comments:

At 2:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just before my son turned 14, he said, "Mum, I have my own taste in music now, so I need an ipod".
For his birthday, we got him an mp3 player which are just as good.
Soon after he said, "Mum, what music/cds do you think I would like from your collection?" so mostly he has put songs from my CD collection on to his MP3 player.... He has downloaded a few songs but not many.

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I thought the same thing about microsoft taking someones innovation and using it to create something else. I also don't have either ipod or zune, i'm too used to putting a CD in the player.

 
At 1:36 AM , Blogger Deepak Gopi said...

:) Hi
U gave me an excellent name for my still to be formed film production company "Imaginary Media",it is really excellent.
Thanks a lot.
Good day :):)

 
At 5:03 AM , Blogger Art said...

Carolanne - I like how your son just helped himself to your CD's:)

Thanks, Carmel. Microsoft is great at this...

Deepak - Wow, I've never named a film production company before! I will expect some checks in the mail when your company goes public, right?

 
At 6:52 AM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

Why is anyone suprised at microsoft. As a long time mac user, when windows 95 came out, all I could think of was, "This looks just like what we mac dweebs have been using since the 80's".

I like the look of the Zune and its ability to beam music back and forth. However, it is getting really bad reviews all the way around.

I love digital music, but I am not going to plunge into a Zune quite yet.

 
At 11:24 AM , Blogger Art said...

Oh yeah, MS is just blatant in their thievery. Apple and Commodore were both doing the GRU and mouse thing back when MS was still with DOS. I would consider going Mac but I've been with Windows too long now I'm afraid...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home