Monday, November 20, 2006

Outrage!

Sometimes, I get outraged about various things. It's usually when I feel others are getting the short end of the stick so to speak.

That's why I write posts about little children starving and people being discriminated against.

It's also why I wrote the post about Jason Woolever's views on abortion earlier today.

I believed that his equating abortion with murder is hurtful to people and does no good.

I still believe that but I went too far with the language I used about him in the post.

Jason left a comment on the post saying how much it bothered him and that he is thinking about giving up blogging because of this.

I hope that he doesn't do that, though I do hope that he reconsiders his views.

Ironically, I accused Jason of making inflammatory remarks - which is exactly what I did in my post.

I can admit it when I'm wrong - I removed that post.

I haven't changed my opinion, mind you, but I do regret that it came across as such a personal attack.

So Jason, please reconsider your views, please don't stop blogging and please accept my apology.

5 Comments:

At 5:21 PM , Blogger Jason Woolever said...

Hey Art, Thanks for this post. One of the ways that I discuss things with friends and family is to throw out a topic and then just kind of tear it apart in passionate discussion.

What I need to remember is that when something is published on the internet it comes across as an arrived at point-of-view rather than a stop in a journey.

I need to be more careful what I blog about and the rhetoric I use in my blogging.

One of the great things about being a methodist is that we can arrive at a view and then revise it and even change it, without having to leave the denomination.

When I used the rhetorical devise of calling abortion murder, I was acting irresponsibly. You called me on it. I need to be more careful in the future. And I accept your rebuke.

Thanks for taking the time and emotional energy to help me hash out this important issue.

In Christ,
Jason

 
At 5:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking for those of us who do not have internet accessability during the day time, I feel CHEATED! It would have been nice to have read both your's and Jason's original posts, someone could have gained a new insight from your dialogue.

 
At 8:27 PM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

Art - I didn't think you were all that inflammatory...but...

Blogs, email, the net, etc. make communication a strange beast. I have said things that I later regretted, though I stand by my intent or point. I guess the point for both you and Jason (and I) is to remember that blogging often brings out the best and worst in our personalities. It causes us to say some things we would not otherwise say, or to say what we mean, though in ways we may not do if sitting at the bar together (or coffee house for you Methodist tee-totalers!).

 
At 3:39 AM , Blogger Art said...

Jason, Thank you. Most of what you wrote will apply to me as well. I continue to disagree with you on THE subject but I'm starting to like you!

Sort of:)

I hope we can both cool down a bit and continue this discussion in a more civil tone in the future.

Stacie, sorry, but since you and I share a home computer, I predict you will get the full story:)

LP, thanks. Wise words from you as always! We live and we learn I guess. And 'Methodist tee-totalers'? I've heard of them...

 
At 4:36 PM , Blogger Jason Woolever said...

ha ha.likewise.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home