Thursday, October 05, 2006

I've got the blues.

One of the reasons I haven't been doing all the things that I said I needed to do is that I've been reading this totally fascinating book called 'The History of the Blues' by Francis Davis.

The book is a few years old now, but I haven't become this engrossed in a book about music since I read 'England's Dreaming' by Jon Savage.

And in a strange way the two books are very similar - interdisciplinary in nature, detail oriented to say the least, but rendered in a narrative style that is just hard to walk away from.

And I know that some (my wife) will think this is crazy, but I see a lot of common ground in Punk and Blues.

(I may be crazy - I also see a lot of similarity between '80's speed metal and classic bluegrass)

But Punk and Blues are handmade, grassroots musical genres (originally at least) and they are the music of a dispossessed and desperate people - a cry for help with a little bit of FU thrown in for good measure. Blues and Punk, in their truest forms, are both honest, raw and moving.

And I like them both.

I actually thought I knew a lot about Blues music until I started reading Davis's book. I realize now just how little I did and do know.

But I guess that is why I love the book so much. If it had only told me what I thought I already knew or had just strengthened my preconceived notions, I probably would have just skimmed the book and set it aside. I love learning and I like being challenged so this is a book that appeals to me.

I plan to blog about this book and its many interesting points in the future.

On the other hand, many of you know that what I plan to do and what I actually do are not always the same thing...

Nevertheless, if you have even a passing interest in the blues, go get this book and read it.

The History of the Blues - Francis Davis

You won't be sorry.

2 Comments:

At 6:35 AM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

Your theory is not crazy at all. Music as a voice of people who feel marginalized takes man different forms. This is how I move so seemlessly from my love of Social Distortion (which is infused with rock, blues and country) into a huge rockabilly fan. Of course, as I heard a person once say, "Rockabilly is the skinhead retirement plan."

Listen to Leadbelly, Howlin' Wolf, the late great Robert Johnson, and then listen to punk (NB: REAL punk, no Green Day. I mean Social D, or Cocksparrer, or Black Flag) and I defy people to say that these musical forms do not have a common strand that runs through them.

BTW Art, if you don't have it your collection, get Howlin Wolf's Complete Memphis Sessions. I found it in the dump bin at a major bookstore for like $3, and it is amazing. I just cheked Amazon, and they don't have it, but keep your eyes peeled for it.

 
At 1:19 PM , Blogger Art said...

Exactly. Thanks, LP.

I don't have any Howlin' Wolf but what a fascinating guy - he was like 6'6', over 300 lbs and wore a size 16 shoe! He was Sonny Boy Williamson #2's brother-in-law and is considered by some to be the first rocker. Wolf was recorded by Sam Phillips in the days before Sun Records existed and Phillips then leased the recordings to the Chess brothers for their label. And the rest, as they say, is history.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home