Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Saints Are Coming... Part II

Interesting comments from yesterday's video and trivia question. Gavin made The Animals connection but that was only a short snippet of "House of the Rising Sun" at the beginning of "The Saints are Coming" (and HRS is much older than even the Animal's 1964 hit). Stacie noticed the All Saints Day nod - thanks. And Susan as Herself may be the only person I've ever heard of who will admit to liking Green Day - but then she likes Journey too:) Thanks also to Carmel and Deepak!

Drumroll please!

Question: Who recorded the original version of "The Saints Are Coming"?

Answer: The Skids.



The Skids were a late '70's Scottish Punk band. Until recently, their most well-known song was probably "Into the Valley" which has been used in a couple of commercials...

A quote about this song from Skids singer Richard Jobson: I was surprised and very proud that The Edge held the song it such high regard. I have always been a fan of U2 and the thought of them performing the song in a studio is enough but the fact that they will play it live along with Green Day is quite difficult to get my head around. I am too dismissive of what we achieved in The Skids, we were very young and naive but the songs still have an energy and innocence. It's sad that Stuart Adamson who wrote the song with me could not be here to witness this special event. My heart goes out to all of the victims of Katrina and I hope their lives are slowly being re-built after such a terrible experience. The song mixes a sense of tragic loss with a hint of optimism. If anything I hope the new version puts a smile on peoples faces and gives them the rush it used to give me when I played it on stage way back when the dinosaurs still ruled the earth.

4 Comments:

At 8:27 PM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

Stuart Adamson is better known for his work in the post-punk Scottish band Big Country. I had a band mate that really loved BC, and we regularly played BC stuff during practices.

 
At 1:41 AM , Blogger Art said...

Wow, LP, I did not know that. Trivia on ME! I vaguely recall Big Country but I never knew Adamson was in that band. Thanks.

 
At 6:34 AM , Blogger LutherPunk said...

Hey, I do what I can! As long as you don't ask me to try anymore of those esoteric blues tests I should be ok!

 
At 11:59 AM , Blogger Art said...

I'm working on a blues quiz that will make Junior's look like child's play! I'll send you a beta version for testing:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home