Monday, October 30, 2006

Still Makin' Me Proud...

Tad and I were in Stacie's uber-vehicle the other day listening to 105.9 - The Rock (the classic station). Mostly, I like their music but every once in a while they throw in something that is just unlistenable...

LIKE JOURNEY...

Well, it was that "Wheel in the Sky" song and I knew something better would be coming down the pike so I didn't change the station.

About halfway through the song, Tad says, "DUDE!".

(his new favorite expletive)

But he literally said, "DUDE! That dude sings like a girl!"

I'm sure this would have been a perfect teaching opportunity in which to chastise the boy about sexism and chauvanism and misogyny and such but I just couldn't help but smile as I said, "Yes, son, he does."

I put in a Robert Johnson CD.

Tad sang along.

Later, at home, I was perusing YouTube for some Blues videos when I found an old video of John Lee Hooker's "Boom-Boom".

Tad perked up, dropped his legos and rushed to my side.

He got there just as the late great Mr. John was finishing his second 'Boom, boom, boom boom', and a few bars later, my son beat the blues legend by a beat and a half with "Haw, haw, haw..."

I turned to him and asked, "You know this song?"

Incredulous, he said, "Uh - Yeah! Dude, I mean, Dad, you know - The Blues Brothers???"

The look on his face supplied the "DUH!" that he was probably afraid to add vocally.

That's my boy!

Hmmmmm - yeaaaaah....

3 Comments:

At 10:31 AM , Blogger Susan as Herself said...

OK. This may make me unpopular, but I LOVE JOURNEY.

That music reminds me of some of some happy times, before life experience kicked my butt, and when I still had hope that the world might just be "A Wheel in the Sky that keeps on Turnin'.

So sue me. Me loves the Journey...

 
At 5:23 PM , Blogger Stace said...

Must be a "Girl" thing, Susan because I,too, love the Journey.

 
At 1:15 AM , Blogger Art said...

No ladies, a lot of guys like Journey too (but only because you like Journey)

The emphasis here was supposed to be on the fact that I have a budding 8 year old cultural musicologist in my house...

Oh well, no harm done. Glad I could sponsor your Journey-Fest '06 :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home