Saturday, October 28, 2006

Signs...

Friday, as I drove through Shelbyville, TN after taking my wife's uber-vehicle to the dealer, I saw this on a church sign:

GOD MADE ADAM AND EVE
NOT ADAM AND STEVE
REMEMBER TO VOTE


I realize some Christians believe that homosexuality is one of the most terrible things in the world. I don't agree with them but apart from that (and the fact that this sign was one of those garish plastic-flashing-light signs like you see outside of newly opened tattoo parlors), this sign is just inappropriate.

For one thing, it's juvenile. Really folks, are you in middle-school or what???

And although the intended implication is obvious - it is the unintended implication that is even more offensive to me: Some people are not children of God.

Apparently, one must agree with the intolerant and club-footed theology of this church in order to be considered a creation of God.

THAT is offensive.

Ironically, the name of this church sounded familiar so I Googled it. It turns out that the former pastor of this church is the brother of the current husband of one of my old girlfriends.

Even more ironic is that, incredibly, these folks call themselves, "Spirit Filled Church"...

The irony, I can only assume, is unintentional.

4 Comments:

At 1:53 PM , Blogger gavin richardson said...

vote no on no.1. we're not prepared to be making that decision yet. that sign shows it too!

 
At 5:02 PM , Blogger TN Rambler said...

Agreed.

 
At 12:39 AM , Blogger Art said...

Gentlmen - THANK YOU! The cricket-chirping silence was starting to concern me...

 
At 1:33 AM , Blogger Art said...

PS - if the folks at 'Spirit Filled Church' knew how I planned to vote, they'd probably tell me to forget the whole thing, stay home and read my Bible instead. KJV, of course.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home