Thursday, June 22, 2006

Day Camp at WFUMC...

My kids have been going to 'day camp' at Winchester FUMC this week.

It's great. It gives me a chance to get some things done (or to just have some peace and quiet) and I know they're active, well taken care of and are in a good progressive Christian environment.

Tuesday, they had a game day in the church gym and today was a hiking trip. Of course Tad is instantly the leader in any group. You have to understand that this kid has never met a stranger. As soon as he was able to talk, he was chatting up total strangers in the Wal-Mart. Kids his age flock around him and he inadvertantly becomes their de facto leader.

Sometimes this is good, sometimes not.

At day camp, he's made a new friend who's called either Zack or Zeke - - we're quite not sure at this point.

Apparently Tad and Zack/Zeke share a love for classic '70's hard rock and metal. I have no idea where Tad could have learned of such things - we only listen to Christian Contemporary in the van.

(clearing my throat)

Anyway, Tad and 'Z' performed an unscheduled air guitar concert for all who were interested at day camp. There were impromptu versions of classic hits by AC/DC, Black Sabbath, et al, and just to impress the girls, a couple of U2 songs. Tad sang the lyrics and played air drums while Z-boy played air guitar and jumped around like a madman. After hearing about all this, I have to wonder what the chaperones are thinking about me, er, I mean Stacie. And I have to wonder about what the chaperones have told the ordained leadership at WFUMC... I may get kicked out of the Lay Speaking program over this.

But you know why eight year old boys get into air metal bands, don't you? Duh, the same reason bigger boys get into real metal bands - for the chicks! As we were leaving the church today, a very young lady literally ran out after us and almost tackled Tad, giving him a 'hug'.

I'm telling you, this kid is going to be dangerous!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home