Sunday, March 19, 2006

More shameless bragging...

My professor this semester is really on top of things...

I have already received a grade for my midterm exam.

Glad you asked, 20 out of 20 points!

(that's 100% for the mathematically challenged)

I was a little worried about it. I felt like I went out on a limb on one of the questions. And, I happened to write less on that question than the others. When you're talking about a 4 question test, that makes a big difference.

That reminds me of the time when an acquaintance asked me about my studies. This person said, "When you take a test online, how do they know you're not cheating?

I struggled in my explanation. We're not talking about multiple choice or fill in the blank questions here. I received 7 questions about a week before my mid was due and I got to pick four to answer. On those four I was expected to write 1000 to 1500 words. I wrote about 1400. When I told her that this was an upper division humanities course, she just looked at me blankly. I explained that we're reading classic works of literature and philosophy that have most shaped western thought. Blank look. I told her that we read a great deal and write about what we've read. Blank look. I then tried to explain that there are no right or wrong answers necessarily but we are graded on how well we integrate what we have read into our own thoughts and form opinions and make arguments based on our reading and how well we express those thoughts and opinions and support our arguments based on the readings...

Apparently, I can explain the philosophical origin of evil, sin and human suffering a lot better than I can explain how a senior level philosophy class works.

I also showed M&M my midterm questions last week.

He said, "Oh, those don't look too bad."

Really?

"Yeah, I could answer those!"

O.K., Mr. smarty-pants, then explain to me how the atomism of Leucippus and Democritus represents a compromise between the thoughts of Heraclitus and Parmenides.

"DUHHHHH......."

That's what I thought, now go on, son, ya bother me!

Geez!

At any rate, Stacie read over my midterm answers before I sent them and said, "You have nothing to worry about."

I really appreciate her confidence.

On the other hand, she didn't graduate from Princeton with an M.Div. and Ed.D. like my professor...

On the other, other hand, she was right!

I love her!

I mean I love Stacie, not my professor.

TschuB.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home