Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Day After...

Christmas has come and gone once again and the beginning of a new year quickly approaches.

My thoughts right now are subdued and a bit reflective as they tend to be on December 26th...

First, as always, I am utterly amazed by the enormous amount of gifts that "Santa" brought to my kids. Just mind-boggling really. They will struggle to find places for all their new "stuff".

Second, I am dismayed by the gi-normous pile of used wrapping debris that currently clutters our kitchen beyond recognition or usability. Not to mention the fact that I need to get this pile of crap out of the house before my wife returns from her annual post Christmas shopping trip with her friends...

Third, I imagine... I KNOW... that when I haul this load to the trash collection center, there will be a line of cars, pickup trucks and minivans all waiting patiently to unload their own piles of crap.

Apart from the inconvenience of this, it all makes me think that we have missed the point...

6 Comments:

At 5:01 PM , Blogger Carolanne said...

Is it that we've missed the point, or that we've lost the child like wonder that we need to really celebrate the day? We get caught up in the gifts, wrappings, (trappings)sales, busyness and try to in some ways, separate them from our reason for celebrating. In other words, we don't see it as a 'whole'.
I don't know, maybe I'm not explaining it right or maybe it's making the same point you did.
I do think somewhere in there we've become "adults" and forgotten to simply enjoy everything about the day in order to prove we haven't forgotten the reason.
It's much easier to be a child and just simply enjoy Jesus' birthday.

 
At 8:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah all that wrapping paper, it's a bit of a waste. I hope you had a lovely day.

 
At 12:32 AM , Blogger Deepak Gopi said...

Hi:)
Hope you had a nice Xmas.
@ deepak- that poetry is not mine.It is from a mail send by one of my friend.I thought that the poetry suits the photo,so i just posted it.
Good day :):):)

 
At 5:55 AM , Blogger David said...

Our usable kitchen space was severely curtailed not only by the "pile", but also by coolers. Our fridge decided to choose Christmas to be the day it also takes a holiday. New one won't be here for another day or two.

 
At 9:27 AM , Blogger jasdye said...

i'll have to agree with caroleanne there.

 
At 5:41 AM , Blogger Carolanne said...

It's been almost 3 days - over Christmas I forgot that you weren't going to post every day so now I'm missing you.
Hope you didn't get lost in all the wrapping paper and that you're not still lined up at the trash collection center!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home